MDS Admission: Course Overview
The Master of Dental Surgery is a postgraduate degree course. This course provides training to the dental graduates in various specializations of dentistry. The ultimate purpose of MDS courses is to prepare registered specialist doctors in different disciplines of dentistry. Master of Dental Surgery is a two year PG course. These courses are approved by the Dental Council of India. Moreover, the course curriculum, pattern and structure of courses are also regulated by the DCI.
MDS degree course involves classroom studies and clinical training. They also learn to diagnose diseases, oral health education, surgery and providing treatment.
Students who are seeking an advanced level of education and high clinical skills in a particular discipline of dentistry will have to go for an MDS degree. MDS degree is offered in various disciplines such as Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Crown and Bridge, Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, Oral Medicine and Radiology, etc. MDS degree helps a lot to get high paying jobs and also in boosting your career.
MDS Course Details
|MDS course full form
|Master of Dental Surgery
|MDS course fees structure
|2 lac to 20 lacs.
|Basic eligibility criteria
|BDS degree from a recognized university and Internship.
|Based on Entrance examination.
|Prosthodontics, Oral & maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, Oral Medicine and Radiology, etc.
|Private clinics, hospitals, Dental healthcare centers, Educational institutes, etc.
|MDS salary in India
|5.5 lacs to 30 lacs or above.
MDS Course Duration
The duration of the Master of Dental Surgery is a full time two years course. This course aims at boosting knowledge, clinical and critical skills, research and analyzing skills of the pursuant in their chosen specialization to become a registered Dentist. Every discipline of MDS programs consists of paper and general practice for in-depth knowledge and research in a particular field.
MDS Fees Structure
The fees structure of MDS courses varies from college to college. The cost of studying MDS courses is something around 2 lacs to 20 lacs. The fees structure includes all the facilities provided by the institution during the studies. MDS course fees in private colleges are higher than government colleges. There are 270+ colleges in India offering MDS degree courses to the students.
- Prosthodontics- This specialization deals with diagnosing diseases, providing treatment, maintaining oral health, replacement of natural teeth or tissues with artificial substitutes.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery- Surgical treatment of diseases or any injuries in the human jaws or associated facial areas.
- Operative Dentistry- This discipline aims at diagnosis, treatment and prevention of the critical diseases or the cause of trauma teeth.
- Oral medicine and Radiology- This specialization focuses on providing treatment to the broad disorder of jaws, cavity, facial structure or complex disorder.
- Oral Pathology- Oral Pathology discipline of MDS is a very important branch of Dentistry. It is related to clinical manifestation. It helps to find out the causes of natural oral diseases and provides effective treatment and cure.
- Periodontics- It focuses on diagnosing and providing the treatment of periodontal diseases.
- Conservative Surgery- This specialization helps to provide conservative surgery for the conservation of the teeth.
- Paedodontics- Peadodontics generally focuses on oral and dental ailments.
Eligibility Criteria for MDS Admission
The eligibility criteria of the MDS degree course is given below. The candidates who wish to opt MDS courses are required to meet the requirements of the colleges/institutions.
- The candidates must have held a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree or any equivalent degree that is recognized by the Dental Council of India. Additionally, they must have finished one year of internship.
- The age of the candidate must be at least 21 years to be eligible for taking admission in MDS courses.
- Candidates have to clear NEET MDS entrance Test to apply for MDS admission offered by various dental colleges across India.
- The Candidate should be physically and mentally fit & strong.
MDS Admission Process
The admission procedure of MDS degree courses is very simple. Admission of the candidates is simply based on the marks and performance of the NEET MDS entrance examination. The candidates have to pass the NEET-MDS examination prior to applying for admission in any college. Besides passing NEET-MDS, other requirements are also considered in the selection process of MDS admission.
MDS Admission Entrance Examination
As we all know that MDS Admission is totally based on the Entrance Examination therefore, we have mentioned some popular examinations conducted for the providing admission in Master of Dental surgery.
- NIMS Examination
- AIIMS PG Entrance and others.
NEET-MDS is the single entrance examination valid for taking admission in postgraduate dental courses. It is the only examination that is accepted nation-wide to MDS diploma courses and programs. Students fulfilling the requirements of the college are eligible for admission. Seats are allotted on the basis of a cut off list.
Popular Dental Colleges in India
- SDM College of Dental Sciences & Hospital, Dharwad.
- Government Dental College, Mumbai.
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore.
- A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore.
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi.
- Awadh Dental College, Jamshedpur.
- J.K.K Nattraja Dental College & Hospital, Namakkal.
- Panineeya Mahavidyalaya Institute of Dental Sciences and Research Centers, Hyderabad.
- Pt. Bhagwat Dayal Sharma PostGraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak.
MDS Course Syllabus
The syllabus of MDS courses varies as per the specialization chosen by the candidate. However, the syllabus of Applied Basic Sciences remains the same in all specializations of MDS degree course as declared by the DCI. The basic syllabus of MDS courses is given below.
|Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery
|Applied Basic Sciences
|Applied Basic Sciences
|Applied Basic Sciences
|Minor Oral Surgery and Trauma
|Diagnosis, Treatment and Preventive in Periodontology and Implantology
|Basic in orthodontics, diagnosis and radiology
|Recent advances in Periodontics
|Bio-Mechanics and Various tissue changes in techniques and treatment in Orthodontics
|Recent advances in Conservative Surgery
|Recent Advances in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
|Recent advances in Orthodontics
|Conservative Dentistry including preventive dentistry.
After MDS degree: Career Options
After general medicine & surgery, dentistry is the second most popular course in India. Moreover the demand for dentists and specialized/registered Dentists is also increasing these days. There is huge scope in Dental sciences. Graduates can work in various private and government sectors after completing an MDS degree. The working fields for a specialist doctor is not limited by the area. Students can earn a good amount in their beginning of career.
|Dental Research lab
|Dental College and research institutes
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon